Sunday, November 23, 2014

Last Post

          This is the last post I'm going to make here. I just realized exactly what time it is on which day, so it's now. Yes, silly and cuckoo and I really shouldn't have waited this long... Buuuut family stuff interfered. So here it is. And tonight I finish my freaking term lab report to turn in on Tuesday.



1. This is a Fragileria. This guy was new, and it's a pity that the experiment ended so soon. It's a diatom, I've found, and it looks very different from the side. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a picture of the side as it could only be seen from this particular viewpoint. 

       2. This is a pic of an Anisonema. Honestly, I've seen them before, but I wanted to get a picture that showed both flagella better than the previous one. So, here it is. 
 3. This picture is of a Pseudomicrothorax. Yes, I know it's a mouthful of a name. I had difficulty spelling it correctly, if I remember the lab right. Anyways, this picture is obviously a little bit blurred. Hopefully you can still tell that this little guy is tinted green, hinting at photosynthetic activity. The blurriness, as usual, is caused when the organism is a bit too fast for the camera to capture properly.


 4. This is Cladophora sp., a photosynthetic algae. We found it near the end of the observation, and decided to take a photo despite having a lot of images. 


 5. The Merisomepedia tranquilla looks a little like a tiny cell city. It's a cluster of algae cells, and there seems to be a carcass floating almost inside the organism. 


6. This Nodularia is the very last picture I took. It's an algae that's looks much like a miniature caterpillar. 

Here's a further list of what else I found for the last observation of the lab: 

Halteria
Nematoads
Tachysoma
Anisonema
Cyclidium
Loxophyllum sp. 
Analyds
Vorticella
2 Amoeba
A cluster of freshwater jellyfish
Oscilatoria
Dero Digitata


Well... that's about it. Here the experiment ends, as the MicroAquarium was cleansed on Friday. I'm not sure I did such a great job of this project... But I managed to get posts up for five observations. I'm happy that I managed to finish this, and did not burn out halfway through. I actually quite enjoyed observing the little organisms. 

Here the story ends
Of tiny lives and one big friend 
Not the traditional tale, 
it's true
But a project as big as a whale
To a young Freshman who really hopes that you won't rue
the time you spent reading her tale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment